- A slow cooker
- A scale (this is important for making a soap that is not too harsh or too oily)
- Glass jars and bowls
- A stick blender
- Plastic cups (optional)
- A metal spoon
- A wooden spoon
- A spatula
- Soap molds (or an old cardboard box lined with parchment paper).
- A large bottle of white vinegar for neutralizing the lye mixture if it spills on anything.
For Your Safety
- Eye Goggles
Soap Recipe Ingredients
- 0.760 pounds water ( 12.16 ounces or 344.73 grams)
- 1 pound (16 ounces or 453.6 grams) coconut oil
- 1 pound (16 ounces or 453.6 grams) olive oil
- 0.303 pounds Lye (4.844 ounces or 137.339 grams)
- Up to 1 ounce of essential oils of choice (optional)
Soap Recipe Instructions
- Make sure that your work area is clean, ventilated and that there are no children nearby. This is not a good recipe to let children help with since Lye is caustic until mixed with water and oils.
- Measure the oils in liquid form (by weight) and pour into the slow cooker.
- Turn on high just until oils heat up and then reduce to low heat.
- While oils are heating, carefully measure the lye and water separately. TIP: Use disposable plastic cups. They don’t weigh anything on the scale so they make measuring easy.
- Keep 3 separate disposable plastic cups labeled:
- Carefully take the cups with the water and the lye outside or to a well ventilated area.
- Pour the water into a quart size or larger glass jar.
- With gloves and eye protection, slowly add the lye to the water. (Warning: DO NOT ADD THE WATER TO THE LYE!)
- Stir carefully with a metal spoon, making sure not to let the liquid come in contact with your body directly.
- As you stir, this will create a cloudy white mixture that gets really hot.
- Let this mixture set for about 10 minutes to cool. It should become clear and not cloudy when it has cooled.
- When the oils in the slow cooker have heated (to about 48-54 degrees Celsius or 120-130 degrees Fahrenheit), slowly pour in the water and lye mixture and stir.
- Quickly rinse the container used for the water and lye mixture out in the sink. Rinse with white vinegar to make sure all Lye has been neutralized.
- Use the metal or wooden spoon to stir the lye/water mixture into the oil mixture in the slow Cooker.
- Once it is evenly mixed, use the stick blender to blend for about 4-5 minutes or until it is opaque and starting to thicken.
- Cover and keep on low heat to thicken.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes and check it every 15 minutes until it is ready. It will start to boil and bubble on the sides first.
- After about 35-55 minutes (depending on your slow cooker) it will thicken enough that the entire surface is bubbly and the sides have collapsed in.
- At this point, turn the heat off.
- If you are going to use essential oils (e.g. lavender and orange) for scent, add them now.
- Quickly and carefully spoon into molds (e.g. empty boxes lined with parchment paper).
- Cover the molds with parchment paper and set in a cool, dry place.
- After 24 hours, pop the soap out of the molds. For best results, let it set for a few more days so that it lasts longer.
For other awesome Slow Cooker Tips, see this article.