How to make Play Dough
- Mix 2 cups of flour, ½ cup of salt, and 4 tablespoons of cream of tartar in the slow cooker.
- Pour in 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of oil, and a bit of food coloring.
- Place a damp towel under the lid, and cook the colorful mess on high for 45 to 60 minutes
- Stirring often.
- When done (the dough should easily form a ball), remove the mixture from the slow cooker, knead several times, and allow it to cool.
- When stored properly, the playtime essential should last 3 to 4 months.
How to make Crayons
- Sort all of your old crayons by color family, and remove the paper wrapping.
- Place the broken bits of a single color into the slow cooker, and heat on low until the pieces have melted.
- Pour or ladle the melted crayons into silicone molds and place in a cool, dry location until they’ve cooled completely.
- Then, break out the coloring sheets and set the little ones to work.
How to make Candles
- Simply grate or shred the wax into the slow cooker, and heat on low.
- Then, prep your molds (old coffee cans or plastic containers work well) by oiling them with a bit of cooking spray.
- Tie a fresh wick (available at craft stores) onto a pencil, suspend the pencil across the top of the mold, and tape the bottom of the wick in the center of the mold.
- Once the wax has melted, pour it into the mold, and let it cool.
- Once the wax has hardened, trim the wick and light it up.
How to Roast Nuts
- Grease the bottom of the cooker.
- Place a cup of raw seeds or nuts into the pot.
- Sprinkle in seasonings and toss to coat.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high, or until the seeds “snap” when tested.
- Store in small plastic bags or glass jars for easy snacking.
- Fill the appliance halfway with water
- Mix in a cup of baking soda.
- Heat on high, uncovered, for several hours or overnight to get rid of offensive odors.
- To banish especially strong smells, add a few tablespoons of lemon juice to the water.
- Fill the pot about three-quarters full with hot water.
- Cover with the lid.
- Turn the appliance to its highest setting.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and let the steam saturate your indoor air.
How to make Hot Cocktail
- Mix up all of the nonalcoholic components of your cocktail in the slow cooker, and keep it covered.
- When you’re ready to serve, pour your spirits into a glass, then ladle in some of the heated mixture.
- Be sure to keep the alcohol out of the appliance or it will cook off before you are ready to imbibe.
How to make Soap